Sunday, March 11, 2007

Anne of Green Gables

The past two weekends I have allowed an old childhood splurge: a marathon of watching a passionate, idealistic red-headed girl. I sipped framboise beer (the closest thing we could find to Anne’s raspberry cordial!) and remembered childhood ideals shaped by L.M. Montgomery’s heroine. Here were my realizations:

1. You cannot go through life breaking slates over boys’ heads. However, it seems a small tragedy to go through life without the spunk to ever do so.
2. Decorum in most of our lives gets too much privilege- and honesty not enough.
3. When you are in the depths of despair, feel it with passion, but remember that plum puffs will help.
4. Gilbert Blythe, tragically, is a fictional character.
5. However, this ought not to dash all dreams of rain-drenched gazebos.
6. Read and think and love with vital imagination.
7. When you want to pray, sometimes it is best to leave your words, look up to heaven, and feel the overflow of your own soul.
8. There are Katherine Brooks in your life to love, and Josie Pyes to not take too seriously.
9. You cannot seek your ideals outside of yourself, but you may have to leave Avonlea to discover this.
10. There is a “book of revelation” in everyone’s life- when the love that has abided is seen.

In the midst of studying all my stacks of psychology books, I am pretty sure “Anne” was my heart’s necessary therapy. I walked down 3rd Avenue yesterday a bit more alive to cherry blossoms and raindrops and strangers’ faces and my own brewing soul.

No comments: