Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Boston: Update #2






















































Today was an excellent "settling in" sort of day. I found my first neighborhood book store (see pic) and found my first delightful coffee shop (see pic). The pictures of cool looking buildings were ones I took while visiting my friend Deb in Providence, Rhode Island on Monday.

I am discovering something slightly terrifying about Boston—crazy 7-way intersections. Now, if you know me very well at all, you know I hate crossing the street. I love that Seattle tickets jay walkers or people crossing against the light, because I have at least an excuse for my timidity. But, here in Boston, I would never get anywhere if I always waited for the light, and nobody else ever does, so I feel so silly standing on the corner...but I can't keep track of which direction all the traffic is coming from, so I stand there looking perplexed. I suppose I'll get used to it. I am just so thankful I am not driving around here (and the Bostonians should be thankful for that, too).

Other than that nuisance, Boston has been very kind to me. So much for the rumors that east coasters are rude. I seem to be meeting all sorts of friendly people. Someone yesterday even payed for my subway ticket when mine appeared to not be working. I am sure there are reasons for the rumors of rudeness...but I have up to this point enjoyed very nice Bostonians.

I am feeling settled in. Writing went well today; yesterday I think I was feeling overwhelmed with the amount of time available to me. I expected my muse to show up immediately, and that is not how she works. But, today was a good start. I skimmed over my already written chapters and started to sense the unfolding story....

2 comments:

dancinglife said...

Fun to see the photos...

Anonymous said...

Kimmy,

I am so excited that you are in Boston . It sounds like you are settling in. Be careful crossing the streets. Also I love getting the little blogs so that I have some idea of how things are going.
Heather