Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Gratitude

Tonight, I am watching lightning over the city and raindrops making patterns on my window. It is lovely– very soothing for my night-before-the-first-day-of-school butterflies. I have had these since I was six and they just don’t go away.

Something about this weekend has felt so exquisite. Part of it was the 13-hour hang out spree with my old friend Andy, including chocolate and banana pancakes for Sunday brunch, writing time, laughing time, chatting time, and time to share our writing project together with a roomful of dear souls. We had a 4pm “happy hour” at my place and read the creative non-fiction narratives we have been working on that explore homosexuality and spirituality. It was just such a vulnerable and beautiful time for many of us– 2.5 hours of reading and amazing feedback and conversation. I was so honored to have a group of people so engaged with our writing, and so pleased to see it generated a shared space to wonder and explore together.

I think I am just feeling a little overwhelmed by the beautiful people in my life and the community I have as I start the school year. Tonight I was listening to Patty Griffin amidst new and old faces and just taking in the moment, which somehow felt very full of possibility and love. I am also a little overwhelmed that I get to live each day with so many things that give joy to me- teaching, writing, studying, commuting almost everywhere on foot, the daily, sweet moments of friendship, a family that is consistent and loving, new people who show up in the most surprising ways.

4 comments:

Gracie said...

Kim, after reading that blog entry, I can't help but feel that I am somehow beside you -- shyly padding along the sidewalks behind you, hugging my knees as I listen to your stories, and steeping tea as you're cutting into your first pancake. How wonderful this "love" is that allows us to be so far beyond ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Kimmy,
I get butterflies when a new school year for work starts because I never know what to expect. The first day did go well.
Heather

Anonymous said...

kim, i am so thankful that i get to be a part of your life, your pancakes, and your commute. you are beautiful and i got to see more of you this weekend. i am falling in love you with you.

Anonymous said...

Kim,

I hope that you have a bit of lemonade left... and I wish that I was close enough to bum a bottle off of you. So glad to hear that your writing is bringing you joy - that is a good sign. I was delighted to stumble across a link to your electronic bulletin board here.

I've felt bad for some time now for dropping off your radar. I hope that you'll forgive and forget - the last year has been too wild for my taste.

I hope that you are doing well, that this school year brings a lot of depth and challenge, and that your writing continues with vigor...

God's peace,
Eric