Sunday, September 30, 2007

Seasonal Plans

Perhaps I do most things with too much planning, but with that disclaimer, here are my goals for Fall/Winter :

1. Read. Read poetry and the New Yorker and children’s books and old classics and new ones, too. I miss reading. I used to read things besides the DSM IV; it is time to resurrect reading for the pleasures of language and story. I want rainy days and pages of good books, while I cuddle under my afghan and sip tea.

2. Dance. I want to buy one very good pair of dance shoes and make as many excuses as possible to dance as often as possible. I want to swing and salsa and maybe take a modern or hip-hop class.

3. Football. During my Sunday Sabbath, I will be religiously committing to blocking off three hours to watch the Seahawks, complete with unabashed cursing. I also hope to actually start winning in fantasy football, or at least achieve a respectable mediocrity. Finally, I hope to attend one high school football game with my friend Ben. We don’t care who we watch, we just want it to be cold and slightly miserable while we drink that syrupy hot chocolate and hang out on the outskirts of the student section.

4. Walks. I want to hear the little crunch of leaves underfoot and breathe in the crisp, Autumn air. I hope to visit the arboretum and other tree-worthy places to see the leaves in their fiery prime.

5. Scarves and boots and textured tights. I don’t think further comments are needed for this one.

6. Bubble baths on very cold days.

7. This one might be a titch early to speak, but I want to celebrate the holiday season with intention and preparation. This will include getting my first ever Christmas tree, decorating my own apartment, and baking Baklava, in honor of my grandmother.

2 comments:

dr riptide said...

Sounds wonderful! I echo everything but the football, although I must admit I did get into European football (soccer). Now I have to learn a new-yet-similar version called Australian Football, 'footie.' The football field is oval in shape, and players can run with, kick, punch, and bounce the american-football shaped ball. Yes, it's interesting...

Hope all is well. It will take a while for me to get used to Australia, but we made it here, and God called us here. We're just waiting and trusting for things to settle.

Love,

Rachel

Derrick Fudge said...

Very exciting list, my good neighbor. I am glad you have so much to look forward to. I am also overjoyed that I can join you in some of these activities, especially Sunday football