Sunday, April 20, 2008

Michigan Joys

Thank you to those of you sending me thoughts and prayers while I was in Michigan! I had a rich time at the writers’ conference this past week. I felt surrounded by brilliance and creativity– the conference organizers had brought in amazing speakers and writers. Here are some highlights:

1. Listening to Yann Martel, author of Life of Pi: He was one of the most eloquent, humble, and imaginative speakers I can remember hearing in a long time. I still get chills! He also has a witty and pointed sense of humor. He has a blog at whatisstephenharperreading.ca, which keeps a record of a series of books that he sends every 2 weeks to his prime minister. The prime minister of Canada, says Martel, has a very low view of the arts, so Martel thought he would help him out by sending him good literature, enclosed with a letter to describe to Stephen Harper the gifts found in that particular book. The most recent April package for the prime minister had a copy of Woolf’s To the Lighthouse. Martel might just be my new famous–and–forty–something author crush. You should read his blog. His mind and imagination are just fabulous.

2. Hearing Katherine Patterson read from her children’s literature: She brought me to tears. She is a regal woman, and hearing her read from the books I read as a child brought me right back to being 11 years old and turning the pages of Bridge to Terabithia. She brings children rich, full, and imaginative stories. When she spoke, she had such a high sense of the nature of play involved in the creative process. Her final words, which were also the ending words of the conference as she was the last speaker, invoked us all as writers to “go play.” It was divine for me. (For those of you know how obsessed I am with working–and how much I need to learn to play again as a writer–you will see the glorious message for me.)

3. Meeting with an editor from HarperCollins: This was truly a little thrill for me along the way in my writing process. I had sent in a book proposal to the conference a few months back, and mine had been seen by an editor at HarperOne, the spiritual division of HarperCollins, and she had contacted me for a meeting to discuss the project.

4. Being on a college campus in the Midwest: I really liked the green, wide–open spaces of Calvin’s campus. I loved just being on a college campus and walking around discovering the paths, bridges, and little ponds. Calvin is so charming and Michigan is beautiful. The sun was out and spring was in full bloom.

5. Listening to Davis Bunn teach writing: I was so inspired by this man as he taught the elements of good storytelling, because I realized I needed to just not work harder but “work smarter.” He has so much to say, and I wanted to run home and start revising my 100 pages of drafts. He lives in England, but I hope to find other conferences he teaches at in the States. Good writing teachers are like gold!

No comments: