Thursday, April 10, 2008

If It Ain't Got That Swing...

I am trying to go to bed, but I just went out swing dancing and my being is too excited to sleep. It has been so long since I have been on the dance floor and I almost forget the thrill of it all. Swing is so playful, creative, mutual, and spontaneous. I spent a whole evening not thinking¬¬– just being in the moment, and it was so good for my heart.

I love how you can never tell by first judgment what kind of dance you will create with a stranger. Sometimes I am so surprised! You can find this connection on the dance floor you would never think if you were off the dance floor. I love the guys who lead with so much openness to responding to the woman; who provide structure, but give up control of the dance and let it be a co–created, organic process. So amazing. My favorite dance partner tonight was probably 50 years old. I had absolutely no anxiety, even though he was an incredible dancer (I usually get nervous with the really good ones). But in these dances, all my creativity came out, and we both just delighted in this graceful and energetic mix of improv and traditional steps. One observer told me she thought the dance looked so intuitive that we must have been dancing together for a long time. Off the dance floor, I would never have supposed connection with this stranger.

I was in heaven all night. I must do this more; but then, not every night on the dance floor is always this magical. I think those dances were sent just for my weary heart.

1 comment:

dancinglife said...

Oh, Kim, I'm so glad!