Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Holy Matrimony

My sister Shannon’s wedding this weekend was a blast. Highlights included:

1. Riding the famous Spokane carousal right before the wedding. The whole wedding party participated in the frivolity, inspired by Shannon of course, who is always up for having a good time and making a public spectacle.

2. Seeing my sister and her new husband tango dance. They are incredible. My mom and I were doing a pretty good job not crying until we saw them dance together. That’s when the Kleenex was especially needed.

3. Hearing the toasts and giving the toasts. Heather’s was amazing– a good mix of serious and funny from the older sister. I think Marcie (Shanny’s best friend) and I did a good job with ours too; it was pretty much all humor, and we had lots of props. The basic idea was providing Jason with a marriage survival kit (it included items like Chemistry for Dummies so he could communicate with my scientist sister and a few other items…some of them ever so slightly scandalous :).

4. Busting a move with my younger cousins on the dance floor, even if they don’t know who Madonna is! (What!) Also, turns out my long-time neighbor Matt (who I haven’t really hung out with since we played basketball in the driveway when we were 8) is a terrific dancer, because he was happy to be as silly as me. I also made my uncles dance with me. All in all, I got in the necessarily twirling and dipping, even without a proper date.

5. Staying in a fancy hotel. Yep, the night before the wedding I somehow got very lucky and got to stay at a quaint old downtown hotel. “Mom,” I said, “I feel like a princess.” “Kimberly, dear, you always feel that way,” says my mother. Ok, that’s maybe true. But, when I have fluffy down comforters and fancy cucumber shampoo I especially feel like a princess.

6. Being with my family. We had 200 plus people at the wedding. It is so wonderful to be part of a family where people come from all over the country to celebrate. I felt very rich.

7. Having approximately 47 people at the wedding ask me when I was getting married (ok, so my feelings on this last item are entirely sarcastic–such is the plight of being the last unmarried daughter).

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend. Between Michigan and the wedding, I am having trouble transitioning to everyday life. I have one more trip planned home again this weekend for Bloomsday festivities (that’s the race my family runs every year). Then, I will settle back into Seattle.

2 comments:

dancinglife said...

Fun to hear the highlights :)

Anonymous said...

Confession: I've been behind on all things blog-reading related. And now that I'm getting caught up, I must say, I'm so delighted to find another of your lists. I like your lists because 1) they encapsulate all things big and small (isn't that the title of a book I read back in sixth grade, minus the "encapsulate" part) 2) they reveal so much about what you pay attention to in the world (always a refreshing perspective) 3) they are full of fun and substance (not unlike bachlava, which is delicious) 4) etc, etc, etc...